Log in

No account? Create an account
Journal for Baby Firecracker [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]

[ website | Baby Firecracker's website ]
[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Just sayin' [Jun. 27th, 2006|11:06 pm]
I feel like crap. Why is it I always end up with a tummy bug a week before my due date?
link3 comments|post comment

Insomnia is fun! [Jun. 26th, 2006|03:50 am]
I woke up sometime around 2:15am, and I haven't been able to get back to sleep. Grr. Although I think I'm finally getting a bit drowsy now that I've had a bite to eat.

Part of it is a little excitement about having had a big strong contraction as I was drifting off to sleep the first time. I haven't had anymore since then, though, so I s'pose it was a one-off thing.

Midwife appointment at 11!
linkpost comment

Exciting... or not... [Jun. 24th, 2006|02:08 pm]
It looks like I'm losing my mucus plug. And yes, that's as gross as it sounds.
link4 comments|post comment

38w Midwife Appointment (a short one) [Jun. 20th, 2006|10:22 pm]
I had my 38w checkup today. My stats are:

Weight: 180 (+2 from 2 weeks ago, +40 total)
BP: 102/72
FH: 36cm
FHT: 150bpm
Urine: trace of protein and trace of blood

All of those stats looked good. The protein and blood worried me, but Peggy assured me that a trace of protein is normal, and the blood could even be from a dilating cervix.

My urine culture from the last visit came back as clear. Unfortunately, though, I am GBS+ from the swab.

Peggy asked about the supplements I'm taking right now. The list is: probiotics 2x/day, Evening Primrose Oil 1500mg/bedtime, prenatals, vitamin C 1-2x/day (depending on how often I remember), and my tea. She asked about garlic, which reminded me (although, how could I forget) that I am using that every night. And let me just say I don't mean orally. She gave me some tips on making that more effective, so I'll be continuing it until I give birth. Oh joy.

We talked about what the protocol will be if I go into labour while she is out of town. (She is teaching classes at a seminar in Chicago this weekend, and she won't be back until Sunday afternoon. ) I am supposed to call her cell phone for questions, etc. If I go into hard labour, I am supposed to call her cell phone AND a backup midwife. (Who, interestingly enough, actually lives closer to us. )

I mentioned that I thought I had contractions the other night. At the time, I wasn't trying to get my hopes up, so I assumed they were gas pains. Of course, nothing was coming out at all, and it was accompanied by a weird spurt of energy where I could not sit still to save my life! I don't think they were doing anything, though. I've had a few menstrual-type cramps too, but again with the not thinking they were doing anything.

When Peggy palpated, she found that the baby had rotated to my left side, which is a great thing. She's still high, but I can expect that until labour. (It's a positive thing in that baby can find her own way once it starts.) We heard a good strong heartbeat too!

My next appointment is Monday June 26 at 11am. My mom may or may not go. (I hope she does. I was SO wiped out by the time I got home tonight.)

Other things I've done this week include going swimming at the state park on Saturday. It was a lot of fun, and it was nice to have that weightless feeling for a little while. We had intended to do the wet dry run with the birth pool, but we hadn't been able to find a waterbed kit to drain it until Saturday morning, and then we found that the air mattress pump had to be charged for 10 hours.

Sunday, we all went to the berry farm for snacks and shopping. We came home and then Adia and I met Lizzie (my doula) for coffee and chatting. She arrived with pumpkin bread for me (which she'd told me she was bringing) and two new really awesome Sckoon diapers (which were a total surprise!). We chatted for a bit, which was nice, since I hadn't seen her in practically forever! :)

Sunday afternoon, we came home and set up the birth pool for a wet "dry run" of how much time it would take to fill up the pool and how long it would stay warm. For the record, it takes about 30-35 minutes to fill as deep as I need it, and it keeps its heat pretty well. It dropped 5 degrees in 3.5-4 hours, which I don't think would be overly noticeable if I was in it the whole time. We only knew because we had a thermometer. Draining it took for-ev-er! Luckily we'll have more hands to help bail to make it go faster after the birth. Floating around in there was pretty nice for the 40 or so minutes I spent in it. Right now it's being stored in our guest bedroom until we need it. (It's too much of a pain in the rear to keep it in the kitchen!)

At this point I'm floating between being really excited about Baby Firecracker's impending arrival, and trying to really appreciate the pregnancy and not rush it. Some days I am better at it than others.

I think that's all the news that's fit to print! :D Hopefully no big updates for another week!
linkpost comment

37w: Home visit [Jun. 13th, 2006|10:14 pm]
Today was what will likely be my last home visit before the birth!


BP: 116/76
FH: 34 cm
FHT: forgot to ask
Urine: clear!
Weight: Not checked

The first thing Peggy and I talked about was my worry about baby not engaging. I had a nice long cry about it to Charles last night, which she said was a good thing. (I guess getting it out, not really sure why otherwise.) She also said it was a good thing for baby to be high until labor or right before labor. Then it was palpating time, and it looks like baby is ROA, which is a good position. It's not ideal, but it's definitely in the right direction. Then she did a slightly more thorough palpation and said that it feels like baby's head is starting to creep below the pubic bone! :) It's amazing how much better that one little piece of information made me feel. She also guestimated that baby would be around 6-7 lbs. (Which would be nice, but I'm not worried at all about baby weight! I figure I'm not going to grow anything I can't birth. ;)

Baby's heartbeat was good and strong. It was more towards the center of my belly, so that's another sign that baby is in an A-OK position.

Peggy mentioned that she accidently hadn't gotten my GBS swab or my urine culture out to the lab quickly enough, so we had to re-do them. When she re-did the GBS, she offered to check my cervix again if I wanted, but I declined. She also looked for signs of lingering yeasties, but it looked good from what she could see. (I did a natural remedy involving garlic. I won't go into more details, but it did indeed work!) My urine dipstick looked clear, so hopefully all of the stuff I did to clear up the yeast infection also contributed to clearing up any infection I might have had in my bladder.

We re-checked my iron from last week, and it was at 11! Either we didn't get a large enough amount of blood last week, or I am really responsive to iron supplements.

When I mentioned I'd been nesting and that baby's activity level had increased, Peggy raised her eyebrows. I'm not sure if it means anything or not, though. Oh, and when I say nesting, I mean I got out of bed at midnight last night to fold and put away baby clothes. I'm a little behind on the rest of our laundry, but Baby Firecracker has plenty of clean clothing. The birthing basket is also coming together. I have a lot of the things I'll need in there already, which includes baby's first outfit! :) I'm hoping to knit her a matching diaper cover before she's born, but I'm not going to stress about it either. Another good sign is that I've moved from mostly cranky to mostly weepy. That doesn't mean I'm not still easily annoyed, but I'm more likely to cry over something than to get angry about it. The final exciting thing is that I had a menstrual-type cramp on Sunday night! I know it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it was fun to have that feeling that my body is working towards labor.

One of the last things we discussed at the appointment was who Peggy's backup(s) would be next week. She's heading out of town to present some classes at a conference from the 22-25. I'm just hoping I don't go on any of those dates! ;)

My next midwife appointment is Tuesday May 20 at 11am. I'm hoping my doula can go with me. :)
linkpost comment

Fishy pool waterbirth links [Jun. 11th, 2006|02:20 pm]
Just so I don't lose them:

linkpost comment

36w3d Midwife Appointment [Jun. 9th, 2006|02:01 pm]
I had my 36 week checkup yesterday. That means my appointments go to WEEKLY now! Eek!


BP: 117/72
FH: 34cm
FHT: 150bpm
Weight: 178 (up 3 lbs. from 2 weeks ago and 38 lbs. total)
Urine: A trace of white blood cells

I got to meet the actual birth assistant yesterday. I thought it was Desirae, but it turns out that it is going to be Julie. :) She's really nice and pregnant with her second as well.

I got to do another urine culture. This was before we knew I had the white blood cells. We wanted to make sure that the GBS wasn't still systemic, and I don't really consider peeing in a cup to be all that invasive!

It looks like my weight was recorded wrong last time -- I didn't realize it until I went to write this entry though! We thought I had gained 13lbs. in 2 weeks, but it was only 3. (Thank goodness.. I was freaking out when she showed me it said 165 from the other week.)

Baby's heartrate sounded good, and she's still head down. Now she's got her back curved around the left side of my body, although her bum is still up above my belly button. This is a switch from last time, when she was around the right side.

And 36 weeks means I got to do the lovely GBS swab. It wasn't quite as painful as it was with Adia, but it still wasn't my favourite thing to do. I also had her do an internal exam, just to satisfy my curiousity. (This is the only one I've had this pregnancy, so I didn't feel too bad.) I am still closed pretty tight. (She said there was a "dimple" whatever that means.) Baby is still high, but Peggy did manage to feel her head! My cervix is also very soft, so I guess that means all of the EPO is working. All-in-all, she said it felt like things were going well down there and heading toward birth. (Not saying it's imminent, just that it's going to happen. Although I kinda knew that already LOL) The only downside is that I seem to have a yeast infection, which surprised me, as I haven't really had any symptoms! Charles picked me up some meds for that today, though. She checked my iron, and it's down to 9.7. Oops. So I have to be more dilligent on the iron and tea!

We hung around and chatted a bit more about pregnancy and birth. :) It looks like I'm on the right track!

My labour/birth pool is here and we have everything for it! We also did the big "everything we need to replace or add to" trip to Target earlier this week, so I think we're set on the new baby stuff front!

My next appointment is at my house on Tuesday at 3:30. :) My doula is supposed to be coming too!
link2 comments|post comment

My belly button... [Jun. 4th, 2006|10:07 pm]
it's disappearing!!

New pictures on the website, for anybody who doesn't check it regularly. ;)

Not much else to report right now. I've been doing my pelvic rocks, and I think she's settling herself into a good position. Hopefully we'll find out more on Thursday!
link1 comment|post comment

Labour prediction [May. 30th, 2006|02:08 pm]
Ahhh, wouldn't this be nice?

Just about the time you think you can't handle hearing one more "when is that baby going to pop?", your baby will decide to make it's appearance. We predict your baby will be born 3-7 days before its due date. Your baby will most likely be born in the morning. Justmommies predicts that your baby will weigh approximately 8.2 pounds and that your labor will be about 12 hours long.

From the quiz here.


In other news, we ordered the Birth Pool last night. :) Now just to get the hose, adapter (to run water from the kitchen sink), and a cheap tablecloth to put underneath.
linkpost comment

34w5d Midwife appointment [May. 28th, 2006|09:16 pm]
Technically the appointment was at 34w2d, since it was last Thursday, but I'm even more unmotivated than normal lately. ;)


BP: 110/68
FH: 32cm
FHT: 140bpm
Weight: 175 (up 14lbs. from 6 weeks ago and 35lbs. total)
Urine: A little cloudy and trace of white blood cells

We talked about the fears I am having in relation to the birth. I'm working my way through Birthing From Within which means a lot of things are coming out -- some surprising, and some not-so-surprising. My biggest fear is that my pelvis is too small, followed by not knowing what labour really feels like. I think both of these stem from my labour and delivery with Adia, but I still feel like I need to work through them. Peggy reasssured me that I do know the truth about both of these and recommended making a list of affirmations to counter my list of fears.

I also mentioned that I am still tired. I am going to start taking my Floradix (herbal iron) She said it would take awhile to get my levels up. I also said that I was having a lot of heartburn, but the only thing I can do about that is to avoid problem foods. (Tomato sauce makes me want to vomit every time, so that's out until baby is here.)

Baby is doing great! She's very consistent with a heartrate around 140. Her bum was still above my belly button with her spine curved around my right side. Her head hangs around my pubic bone toward my left hip. She's very active in the evenings and through the nights. Peggy said from palpating that it feels like she's on the small side. (Um, yay! :)

I'm really looking forward to meeting my baby girl! I know there's not too much longer left. As a matter of fact, I had 5 friends/family who were pregnant, and it's down to me and one friend now. It's been a busy couple of weeks of hearing birth announcements for me. ;)
linkpost comment

[ viewing | 10 entries back ]
[ go | earlier/later ]